Mod Tutorial: Setting up a Draconic Reactor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egassy

Regular
Aug 30, 2019
Draconic Reactors product incredible amounts of power for very little cost when set up correctly, but if set up incorrectly, they explode, destroying themselves and the land around them.

This is a guide on how to set them up correctly.
This guide assumes you are capable of making the components of the Reactor yourself. If you don't know how, check JEI by typing "Reactor" and left-clicking on the Draconic Reactor Core, Reactor Stabilizer and Reactor Energy Injector, then typing "Flux Gate" and doing the same. It also assumes you can make and use and a Draconic Energy Core and Draconic Energy Crystals.

This guide is also based on having the entire setup contained within a single chunk.

Component Creation

You'll want to make 1 Draconic Reactor Core, 4 Reactor Stabilizers, 3 Flux Gates and 5 Draconic Energy I/O Crystals.

Assembly

First, place the Reactor Core itself. All the other components need to be on either the same X, Y or Z axis as the core, not too far away.
At this point, your reactor should look like this:

Next, place a Flux Gate on the floor directly beneath the core (Same X and Z axis, but different Y axis). This Gate needs it's arrows to be pointing up, towards the core.
Your Reactor should now look like this:

Now place the Reactor Energy Injector on top of the Flux Gate, pointing towards the Reactor Core.
Your Reactor will now look like this:

Now place 4 Reactor Stabilizers, each 4 blocks or more away from the Reactor Core. It does not matter if they are uneven ( e.g. 1 is 5 blocks away, 1 is 6 blocks away, and the other 2 are 4 blocks away).

WARNING: PLACING THEM LESS THAN 4 BLOCKS AWAY FROM THE CORE WILL RESULT IN THE CORE DESTROYING THEM, AND AN EXPLOSION.

Next, place 2 more flux gates against the Reactor Stabilizers, one with the arrows pointing towards the Stabilizer and one with the arrows pointing away from the Stabilizer.
Alternatively, if Thermal Dynamics is in your pack, you could place them away from the Stabilizers, and connect them via Cryo-Stabilized Fluxducts. The same directions apply: One must be pointing towards the Fluxduct and one must be pointing away from the Fluxduct.

WARNING: DO NOT USE ANY FLUX DUCTS, CONDUITS, OR OTHER RF TRANSPORTATION OTHER THAN CRYO-STABILIZED DUCTS. THIS INCLUDES DRACONIC EVOLUTION'S METHOD OF RF TRANSPORTATION, ENERGY CRYSTALS. USING ANY OTHER METHOD TO CONNECT FLUX GATES TO REACTOR STABILIZERS WILL RESULT IN AN EXPLOSION. THIS IS DUE TO MOST RF TRANSPORTATION METHODS HAVING A "RESIDUAL CAPACITY", WHICH IS A RELATIVELY SMALL, INVISIBLE RF STORAGE CAPACITY BUILT INTO EACH DUCT, CONDUIT OR CRYSTAL.

Now place 3 Draconic Energy I/O Crystals. Do not use Wireless Energy Crystals, they're too slow, and will result in a explosion if used to input RF into the Reactor.
Place 1 beneath the Flux Gate beneath the Injector, and make sure it's set to Output:

Place 1 against the Flux Gate with the arrows pointing towards the Stabilizer, and make sure it's set to Output:

Place 1 against the Flux Gate with the arrows pointing away from the Stabilizer, and make sure it's set to Input:

Your Reactor should now look like this:

Congratulations, your reactor is now fully assembled. This doesn't mean that it's ready to go however, there's still plenty more to do.

Configuring

First off, you'll need to bind all the I/O Crystals to their proper places.

Bind the I/O Crystal on the Flux Gate beneath the Injector to another I/O Crystal that is set to Input and placed on an "Export" Energy Pylon near a Draconic Energy Core.

Bind the I/O Crystal on the Flux Gate with the arrows pointing towards the Stabilizer to the same I/O Crystal that the one beneath the Injector is bound to.

Bind the I/O Crystal on the Flux Gate with the arrows pointing away from the Stabilizer to another I/O Crystal that is set to Output and placed on an "Import" Energy Pylon near a Draconic Energy Core.

Now right click the Flux Gate beneath the Reactor Energy Injector, set the top number (Redstone Signal High) to a large number, such as 2000000. This is part of the emergency shielding system, which will be discussed later. Then set the lower number (Redstone Signal Low) to 85000. This is how much RF that will be put into your Reactor to power its Containment Field.
Click Save on both numbers before exiting the GUI.

Right click the Flux Gate with the arrows pointing towards the Stabilizer, and set the top number to a large number, such as 2000000. This is part of the emergency shielding system, which will be discussed later. Then set the lower number to 60000. Honestly, I have no idea what this number does, but if it's set too low in relation to the other 2 numbers, the Reactor explodes. Click Save on both numbers before exiting the GUI.

Right click the Flux Gate with the arrows pointing away from the Stabilizer, and set the lower number to 250000. This is how much RF per tick your reactor will make, plus a couple hundred RF/T that will not be extracted and will instead add to the Reactor's Energy Saturation. Keep the top number at 0. This is part of the emergency Containment Field system, which will be discussed later. Click Save on the top number before exiting the GUI.

Now right click the Reactor Energy Injector to open it's GUI, most of which is shares with the Reactor Stabilizers. The only difference between them is what the Redstone Mode is set to, as each of the 5 Reactor Components has its own setting.

After you open the GUI, insert 8 Awakened Draconium Blocks into the "Fuel (In)" part of the GUI. This is likely all the fuel your Reactor will ever need, as it consumes it very slowly, as it's measured in nanobuckets, which are 1/1000th of a millibucket, which in turn is 1/1000th of a bucket, making a nanobucket 1/1000000th of a bucket.

This will change the appearance of your Reactor, which will now look like this:

Now you should set up the emergency Containment Field switch. Do so simply by routing Redstone from a lever to all 3 Flux Gates, making sure that the signal strength is 15 when it arrives at the Flux Gates. If you're unsure, put a Redstone Repeater right before each Flux Gate.
Alternatively, you could use one of the Wireless Redstone options available in your pack, if there is one.

Double-check your Draconic Energy I/O Crystals to make sure they're connected and in the proper mode, and make sure you have plenty of RF in your Draconic Energy Core. 1 billion is enough for a very prolonged charging period, but "just" 100 million is sufficient. Remember, the more RF you have in your Energy Core, the more can be pumped into the Containment Field in an emergency and during the warm-up period, and safer you are.

Reactor Activation

After checking and double-checking, go back into the Reactor GUI by clicking one of its components, and click the "charge" button. The Containment Field Strength will charge up to 50%, then the Energy Saturation will charge to 50%, then the Core Temperature will rise to around 2000C

WARNING: BREAKING ANY PART OF THE REACTOR AT OR AFTER THIS POINT WILL RESULT IN AN EXPLOSION

This charging process can be accelerated by flipping the emergency Containment Field lever.

After it's charged, the GUI should look like this:

And the Reactor should look like this:

Now click the activate button, and wait for it to stabilize. While it's stabilizing, go back into the Reactor GUI by right-clicking the Reactor Energy Injector,, click "Redstone Mode", then click "-Shield". Then place a Redstone Comparator against the Reactor Energy Injector, and line up 15 redstone lamps with Redstone on top of them connected to the Comparator, providing a warning system for when the Reactor's shield gets too low. With a little effort, this can be converted into a automatic Containment Field switch by routing it through something that only allows redstone signals of over a certain number (I would advise 1:relievedface: into the Redstone from the Emergency Containment Field system.
Then go back into the Reactor GUI, and click "Failsafe". This should automatically shut down the reactor if it begins to run out of fuel. If it runs out of fuel without being shut down, it will explode.
When it's over, it should be consuming 85000 RF/T and producing 250000 RF/T, and the reactor should look like this:

I am not responsible if you failed to follow the guide, and blow up yourself, your reactor, the room your reactor was in, your base, the area around your your base or the bases of everyone within over 100 blocks, or any combination thereof.

I am also not responsible if you did follow the guide, and still somehow blow up yourself, your reactor, the room your reactor was in, your base, the area around your your base or the bases of everyone within over 100 blocks, or any combination thereof.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.